I watched the original Lollapalooza line-up when Pearl Jam was still wearing flannel (the whole band). I even sat through the Smashing Pumpkins and listened to Billy Corgan whine about why the Beatie Boys were better than him, just him. Tim and I swam in the mineral springs in Rucker Park on a 95 degree Saturday while listening to Arcade Fire. Blah, blah, blah...just a list to demonstrate why this weekend I saw the best 1..2 punch ever. It started with the Long Winters.

It was a show that had everything; rock talk, kazoos, Aerosmith covers, guesst appearances by what is left of the Seattle indie-elite (Dr. Ben Gibbard and such) and to top it off...I made it back stage after the show. While The Long Winters were setting up, I started chatting it up with the front man from the opening band, The Broken West...Ross something or other. They are from LA, so of course I name dropped Chris and it turns out the this Ross dude loves Gran Ronde and tries to get to any of their shows. He then slipped me a pass to go backstage after the show and meet the crew...good times.
The next show was Ted Leo and the Pharmacists on Tuesday, one of the top three best live shows ever...nuff said. Finally a band that is good enough for Jesus to play in. (Thanks Matty)
Thanks Chris for your years of devotion to the Silverlake scene.
BTW..True to the Indie Straight to the OC express, The Long Winters track "New Girl" from When I Pretend to Fall is now on the soundtrack for the uber-chick-flik "In the Land of Women" starring the dark-haired kid from the OC, whatshisname.

No comments:
Post a Comment